Friday, January 30, 2015

Please sir, can I have some more?

I found myself combing through the cupboard last Friday night at approximately 11:30 p.m.

There was a box of opened crackers, and a few packets of hot chocolate. I cringed as I stuffed the stale cracker into my mouth.

I stood staring into the unfilled cupboards for a good ten minutes. I knew I had to do something to curb the hunger that growled deep inside. This was life or death.

I decided to become innovative and proceeded to check the baking cupboard. If I can't heat something up, I'm join to damn well bake something!

I feel like every has this one crucial ingredient that can save hungry people everywhere—peanut butter. I'm sure you can guess where this is going...

The peanut butter cookie – a delectable sweet that has one of Canada’s most popular ingredient – peanut butter.

The first public recipe was in 1916, according to a website called ProFlowers. More interestingly, the famous “fork marks” that have appeared on peanut butter cookies comes from a baking tradition, as well as an indicator for people who have allergies. Historically, the fork marks were first seen in 1936 in a Pillsbury cookbook.


I found a super easy recipe that consists of three ingredients. Once again, I pulled the recipe from one of my favourite recipe sites, www.allrecipes.com.



Here it is as follows:

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup white sugar
1 egg

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • Combine the peanut butter, white sugar and egg. Mix until smooth.
  • Drop spoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 6 to 8 minutes. Do not overbake! These cookies are best when they are still soft and just barely brown on the bottoms.



1 comment:

  1. Whaaaaat! Three ingredients?! I'm not sure how I've never discovered this recipe before, but now I want to try it. :p Peanut butter is – hands down – the best invention of all time.

    ReplyDelete