Friday, January 23, 2015

I Heart Sushi

I’m a huge sushi fan.

I could quite literally eat sushi every single day. The great thing about sushi is that the last few years, they have put up restaurants at everywhere!

Of course, the quality of sushi is very different in each restaurant, as well as prices.

My favourite place to go for sushi is Wasabi on Broadway. Not only is their sushi phenomenal, but also their drink menu is great! I tried the Wasabi Caesar, and I was shocked—where and why haven’t I had this previously?



When I go to Wasabi, I always start with the "Honey Plum Tuna," which is tuna wrapped in nori, piled with tempura, and topped with honey sauce.

Next, I order my rolls! Here are some of my favourites from the Wasabi menu:

MAHALO ROLL $22
spicy steamed shrimp, pineapple, mango, red pepper and tempura crumbs wrapped with soy sheet topped with albacore tuna, drizzled with chili lime sauce and seaweed sprinkles


RAINBOW ROLL $12
crab meat, tobiko, mayo, avocado, sesame seeds topped with an assortment of seafood on the outside


MANGO TANGO $12
fresh slices of mango, avocado, tobiko and tempura shrimp dressed with wasabi mayo


As a student, I can’t go to Wasabi as much as I’d like. It is a tad pricey, although I have to stress that the quality is, in my opinion, the best.

                                                                             ....

When I find myself low on funds, I go to one of the two locations called Magic Sushi.

Magic Sushi first opened up in the North End on McPhillips Avenue as an all-you-can-eat restaurant. I think that people like to go and eat sushi here because it's cheap, but has quality.

The second location, Magic Sushi 2, opened up a little over two years ago, in Elmwood. When I visit this place, I barely ever have to wait more than 15 minutes to eat. The appetizers are included in the $12.95 price; for this reason I make sure to stock up on the teriyaki tofu and tempura. I also have a bowl of edamame beans as a little snack. If I'm feeling extra hungry, I get the wonton soup—delish!

For the main course, I have three or four favourite rolls that I always order (yes, you can tell I eat here a lot). Here's what I order from the Magic Sushi 2 menu:



Golden Boy: Shrimp inside with salmon and avocado on top

Red River: Chick inside with kani (crab) on top

Alaska: Scallop inside with smoke salmon on top

Baku Scallop Maki: Scallops with tempura crunches, and hot sauce on top

My only gripe? I once went to Magic Sushi 2 with a friend who had never been there before, and she ordered one-too-many rolls by accident. The restaurant charged her $1 for every piece she didn't eat. There was 10 leftover pieces, therefore she was charged an extra $10! This is why you may see random pieces of sushi hidden around the restaurant—almost like a scavenger hunt. But seriously, people don't want to pay the price. I can only imagine how many crushed sushi rolls end up wrapped up in kleenex and shoved down to the bottom of women's purses. Not saying I've never done this.....


Check out Wasabi and Magic Sushi 2, I guarantee you won't be upset. 







1 comment:

  1. Wasabi is the best place for sushi. I love the one on Broadway but alas it is pricey and my 0 balance bank account doesn't let me go there

    ReplyDelete