Thursday, January 15, 2015

King + Bannantyne

Two of my girlfriends asked me to lunch yesterday. It was the perfect timing, because a.) my blog was due, and b.) I was starving!

They led me through the exchange district to a little place called King + Bannantyne.

Urbanspoon reviews say, “It’s the best sandwich place ever!” 

I must say, I’ve never been to a place like King + Bannantyne, I give them credit for being different—and it works!


Mostly, I was impressed with the restaurant's décor. It complimented the Exchange District. It was sleek and modern. The tables were DIY wood and a stainless steel tops, the perfect mix of rustic and contemporary. 

The walls bared white in colour, with some interesting animal art. I, for one, didn't love staring at the parts of a pig...while my friend across the table essentially ate it, but it was unlike anything I've seen before. 

I liked the ordering bar, no servers, a quick line to grab what you want, and than sit down where you can find a spot. There was at least ten people ahead of me when I stood in line to place my order, but it took mere moments to get my food.

The menu was pretty cool. There was a porchetta, brisket, or meatball sandwich to choose from.There was also the eggplant melt grilled cheese, which I chose. Lastly, the pulled pork graced the menu.

I would have usually went for the meat, but I opted out for the grilled cheese, since I've been obsessed with eggplant lately.

Side note, eggplant is one of the healthiest vegetables you can eat, and wow, is it ever spectacular steamed. I got the idea to make it like this when I went for Dim Sum a few weeks ago. The dish was steamed eggplant stuffed with shrimp in a teriyaki sauce...to be continued.


Not only was the food different than most of the lunch restaurants I've visited, but their drink selection was pretty sweet. I had black cherry soda in a glass bottle. So retro. Other soda flavours were available, selling for $3.50.


There was only two sides; soup and potato salad. The potato salad was pretty amazing, according to my friend, Vanessa. 

I really enjoyed seeing them make our lunch before our eyes; almost like The Keg of Subway

It was a tad pricey for my pitiful student budget. For my grilled cheese it was $7, and my drink was a whopping $3.50. I was still kind of hungry after my sandwich, but I couldn't comprehend paying another $4 for a side. Regardless, it's pretty comparable since most restaurant meals are $12.99 for a sandwich of some sort and fries.  

I will definitely go here again, except this time I will try the meat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment