Sunday, November 23, 2014

Slednecks Manitoba Edition

My dad built a cabin in Pinawa Bay for our family when I was ten-years-old. 

I remember driving out with my dad one random weekend, he stopped the truck in front of a stretch of forest that was staked out for three separate lots. As we got out to look, my dad told me that I could pick which lot we were going to buy. I thought it was the coolest thing ever; I ended up picking the middle one.

Seventeen-years later on a Friday evening, My boyfriend, two dogs and I, took the hour-and-a-half drive out to what we call our own Winter Wonderland.


When the word cabin comes to mind, I think of snowmobiling, fires, isolation and relaxation. I believe that everyone needs to experience a typical winter weekend out in the woods. After all, that's what being Canadian is all about!


For example, when taking the dogs out for a walk mid-morning, we stumbled across our neighbours coming back from a successful hunting trip. 

If you know me well, you know I love animals. Hunting doesn’t quite bother me if the meat is used for food supply. I’ve never seen a deer being prepared before—I can’t say that I will be providing fresh buck for my family tonight, but I was amazed at the process.


My favourite part of the cabin is the fresh fallen snow. The scenery is picturesque—a serene white palette, untouched. The smell of wood stoves burning is truly intoxicating. We brought our dog’s, Tang and Hershey, down to the boat dock, and we were amazed that the lake was already frozen.


In the afternoon, we sipped perked coffee and BBQ’d hot dogs. We slipped into a local store and bought some fireworks to commence our fantastic weekend.

After a delicious steak dinner, we started a fire outside and lit our fireworks, mug’s of hot chocolate in hand.


It was amazing to put down the books and enjoy being in the now. I think it's important to take a minute for yourself and take advantage of Manitoba's beautiful nature. 

Happy Winter friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment